Table of Contents
- Community Updates & Showcases
- Parcel 0 Reveal is here!
- CityDAO TED talk
- Baby Parcel
- Guild Restructure
- Speech at Chiang Mai Conference
- Turkish CityDAO Twitter Space
- Grants Finalists
- Workshop with ArchiDAO
- Memes Feature
- CityDAO Timeline
- Past CityDAO Community Roundups
What is CityDAO?
The CityDAO community is made up of ambitious and HIGHLY curious people exploring and building at the frontier of technology, governance experiments and physical land.
The vision of CityDAO is to build the city of the future on the Ethereum blockchain by experimenting with tokenizing land, rights, and governance.
🌆Community Updates & Showcases
Parcel 0 reveal is here!
The 45 days minting period for Parcel 0 NFT ended on July 1st, and the NFTs were finally revealed on July 15! If you’ve got one, you can check it out on Opensea. But the best way to look at your Parcel 0 NFT would be to use the Parcel Viewer, an amazing app created by our dev team.
Parcel Viewer app:
Parcel 0 NFTs are tradable on Opensea, but you might want to hold on to them if you’re interested in the Parcel 0 project! Parcel 0 governance is separated from Citizen NFT. So, citizen or not, only Parcel 0 NFT holders will be eligible to vote on Parcel 0 related matters.
CityDAO TED talk
Scott Fitsimones, known as scottfits in our CityDAO community--the mastermind behind the creation of CityDAO--had an opportunity to deliver a TED talk on stage about our project!
Seeing CityDAO on TED talk is a huge deal. This greatly increases our exposure to the outside world, educating people about DAOs and their potential. Big shout-out to scottfits!
Following the approval of the Big Parcel, which is a proposal to buy a massive plot of land for our next parcel, we decided that we should first experiment on a smaller scale, and thus came the Baby Parcel proposal, which got approved on Snapshot last month. So right now we’re in the process of acquiring a small plot of land for experimentation. Stay tuned!
Following the success of the guilds system that was created at the beginning of Q2, we went through a period of restructuring to further improve the system. Obsolete guilds were dissolved or deactivated, and the remainders were divided in two two categories: functional guilds and resource guilds. Budgets were also optimized.
Link to the full documents:
Speech at Chiang Mai conference
It was overall a fun and very productive trip (I was also there to personally assist elmo in the event). The organization that we networked with also had connections with government agencies, which were open to the idea of web3 city. So if we ever want a parcel here, the door’s open!
Turkish CityDAO Twitter Space
We held a Twitter Space with two guests who were well-known among the woman blockchain community in Turkey. The topics that were discussed were the place of women in DAOs and on-going projects in CityDAO, including a project from a university in Turkey which made it to the top 10 grants finalist (more on this in the next topic).
We have our top 10 finalists for grants! The next round will be an interview round with each finalist in order to determine the projects that get the final grants.
Full list of the finalists:
- Lamina POP
- BlockSoc DAO
- RECYCLING CHALLENGE WITH NFTs
- Project SEED
- Ramps Not Stairs for DAOs
- World Trade Center Affordability Study Highly Visible Distributed Financing
- CityDATA Phase I Information Access
Workshop with ArchiDAO
In collaboration with ArchiDAO, we had a metaverse workshop where participants go through two days of hackathon, working together as teams to develop metaverse blueprints without the need to have any prior coding or 3D modelling experience. NFTs souvenirs were also handed out to the participants.
If you make CityDAO memes and post in the memes channel in our Discord server, you’ll have a chance to be featured here!
A quick recap of the CityDAO adventure so far:
Month 1: July - laying the groundwork
- July 1 - DAOs can legally be recognized as an LLC in Wyoming
- July 2 - CityDAO starts (Scott’s infamous tweet)
- July 7 - First community call
- July 15 - CityDAO Discord membership crosses 1000 people
- July 23 - CityDAO officially registered as an LLC in Wyoming
- July 28 - CityDAO gets voted in on Mirror’s $WRITE RACE
Month 2: August - bolstering the treasury
- August 8 - The First Citizen NFT sells for 6.52 ETH
- August 11 - Release Founding Citizen NFTs
- August 25 - Founding Citizen NFT sells for 10 ETH live in a community call
- August 25 - CityDAO treasury passes $250k
- August 26 - Connect w/ real estate agent in Wyoming to help with land purchase
Month 3: September - voting on land acquisition
- September 08 - CityDAO forum is added to aid governance discussions
- September 15 - Dev & Design team demo the parcel viewer
- September 21 - CityDAO citizens vote on first parcel purchase
- September 27 - Citizens vote to make offer on “Parcel 6” (40 acres)
- September 28 - CityDAO makes an offer on real land
- September 28 - Offer accepted, land purchase process begins
Month 4: October - Vitalik stops by & we close the land parcel deal
- October 06 - Vitalik Buterin stops by CityDAO to ask questions
- October 07 - CityDAO flag put up on land owned by a DAO
- October 23 - CityDAO Citizen NFT minter released
- October 25 - Funds wired for land purchase
- October 29 - Land parcel deal officially completed
Month 5: November - Explosive growth & Crypto cities blog post
- November (first week) - Vitalik and Brian Armstrong purchase Citizen NFTs
- November 14 - Mark Cuban purchases two Citizen NFTs
- November 14 - Citizen NFTs sell out
- November 15 - CityDAO treasury hits 8.5 million
- November 28 - Balaji gets a Citizen NFT
Month 6: December - Peak CityDAO FOMO
- December 14 - Founding Citizen NFT sells for 34.8 ETH
- December 15 - Partnership with Chainlink
- December 20 - Community members visit parcel 0, meet the neighbors
- December 27 - Financial Times publishes an article covering CityDAO
- December 31 - Legal AMA with securities lawyer
Month 7: January - Build resilience as a DAO & steps towards decentralization
- January 3 - Citizens vote to elect a council to establish CityDAO Charter
- January 5 - CityDAO museum receives CityDAO DAOpunk NFT
- January 15 - Audit papers signed for Parcel 0 land drop
- January 16 - CityDAO twitter account passes 25k
- January 17 - Candidate election pitches begin 🎉
Month 8: February - EthDenver & Council Charter work
- February 1 - CityDAO Council Election vote finishes
- February 10 - First CityDAO Speaker Series AMA
- February 11 - CityDAO citizens form multiple teams at EthDenver
- February 18 - CityDAO podcast launched
- February 19 - Vitalik mentions Citydao in his EthDenver address
Month 9: March - Parcel 0 work, Charter & Gearing up for Guilds
- March (first week) - Council has a WILD week prepping Charter
- March 9 - Charter draft completed
- March 23 - Denver posts CIP-43: LFG: Parcel 0 Direct Drop for Citizens proposal
- March 25 - Parcel 1 brainstorming begins!
- March 31 - Bundled Guild Proposal posted
Month 10: April - Guild formation, Parcel 1 beginnings & Unleashing CityDAO talent
- April 2 - Parcel 0 quantity snapshot goes up
- April 3 - CityDAO Guilds Initiation snapshot goes up
- April 14 - CityDAO interview with Wyoming Senator Rothfuss released
- April 19 - Parcel 1 Guilds Idea generator launched
- April 25 - Parcel 0 NFT Drop article draft completed
Month 11: May - Guild formation, Parcel 1 beginnings & Unleashing CityDAO talent
- May 4 - Parcel 0 NFT drop announced
- May 5 - CityDAO reaches 30,000 Twitter followers
- May 11 - CityDAO flag goes up on Parcel 0
- May 18 - Parcel 0 minting period goes live
Month 12: June - Mission and key metric, swag shop
- June 10 - Grants application open
- June 17 - XXL Nemus parcel purchased (partner)
- June 22 - CityDAO’s Mission and key metric defined
- June 23 - CityDAO Swag shop goes live
Month 13: July - Guild restructure, parcel 0 reveal
- July (whole month) - Guild restructuring
- July 2 - The Big Parcel CIP approved on Snapshot
- July 15 - Parcel 0 NFT reveal
- July 22 - Baby Parcel CIP approved on Snapshot
📚Past CityDAO Community Roundup articles